Florence Talbot was introduced to the roller skating business during the great depression when she traveled with her sister and brother-in-law, Meryle and Roy Hodges. They had a traveling photo booth and portable roller skating rink that moved around the Kansas area with the fair circuit. In 1946 the Hodges opened a permanent site in Springfield, Ohio.
With the Hodges’ help, Melody Skateland opened in 1950 in Richmond at 1501 South 9th Street. Florence and husband, Fred, formed a partnership with her brother Elmer Hammett and his wife, Kay. Fred, Elmer and Roy did much of the actual physical construction of Melody Skateland themselves. After many successful years in Richmond, the two families expanded their business in 1965 and built Tri-Skateland in Fairfield, Ohio.
With a skating boom in the late 1970’s Fred and Florence felt it was time for a change. In September of 1980 they relocated to the present Commerce Road site and opened The Skate. Into their senior years in 1990 the Talbot’s and Hammett’s dissolved their partnership and sold their skating rinks to their children. The new owners took over the facility in spring of 2021. Be on the lookout for some awesome new improvements here at The Skate.